Sunday, December 14, 2008

Tribulation

tribulation: great trouble or misery; severe trial; affliction

It seems this week has been a week of trials and tribulations. I can't say I have had the joy in my heart that I should have had through them. But later I have remembered that God uses trials to draw us closer to him and I can't help but smile.
What? Joy through tribulation? Yep!
We should have joy through all things, especially tribulations. Satan rejoices when we go through hard times and get sour and bitter about them because we aren't drawing closer to our Maker. When we are happy through our troubles then we know our Lord is near us because you can't be joyful through tribulation without God's hand on our life.
I have also been reminded that God doesn't put on us more than we can bear! Granted their have been times when I have hit my knees and had to say "Uncle", but then I realize maybe if I had of run to God at the first sign of trouble I may not of had to go through the other troubles or maybe God is trying to teach me a lesson.
Many of the faithful have gone through tribulation and have done it with a joyful heart or with gladness. In Foxe's Book of Martyrs, a woman named Blandina "endured stripes, the tearing of beasts, and the iron chair, she was enclosed in a net and thrown to a bull"; before she went to meet her Lord. In the book she is described to be "rejoicing and triumphing in her exit, as if invited to a marriage supper."
WOW! To go through all that and to be happy about it! Reading about her and the rest of the martyrs during that time makes me realize that I have nothing to complain about.
Since the Bible says to be joyful in all things I am going to try to continually have joy in my heart and then try to instantly turn to God instead of pouting or trying to fix it myself.

Verses for thought:
"And not onlyl so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience"
Romans 5:3
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
2 Corinthians 12:9-10
Confirming the souls of the disciples and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God.
Acts 14:22
These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
John 15:11
My brethern count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
James 1:2
Always in every prayer of mine for you all making request with joy.
Phillipians 1:4

No comments: