Sunday, November 20, 2011

Waiting on God

It's amazing how God will teach you patience whether you ask for it or not. People always think I am crazy when I say that I am trying to be patient or that I am praying for patience. Why shouldn't I pray for patience since that shows an attitude of wanting to do what God wants in my life instead of resisting His teaching because I have a negative attitude about it?
I realize that this is a revelation for most of you because everyone always says "Don't pray for patience." Have you ever analyzed what you are saying to God when you don't pray for patience. You are saying I am going to resist you if you try to do anything in my life that I don't want you to do. Instead of having that open heart and saying "Okay God you are trying to teach me something here and I am going to have a good attitude about it." Think of Paul who was put in jail. Don't you think one of the lessons he was learning while he was in jail was patience? He probably would have rather have learned patience at a different time or a different way, but God wanted him to fully rely on His plan and His timing. Then look at Jonah who was impatient for God to destroy Ninevah. Don't you think that if his heart had of been open to being patient and allowing God to work that he would have seen the blessing that came out of it instead of pouting on a hillside?
Praying for patience isn't setting yourself up for unwanted trials and tribulations it is a matter of attitude. It is telling God that I am going to trust you to take care of all things and I am going to have a great attitude to go along with it. God is going to teach you patience whether you pray for it or not. It is a certainty. God promised tribulation and trials as part of our Christian walk. What attitude are you going to have? Are you going to say "Please Lord teach me your patience so that I may endure the trials and tribulations with a good attitude" or are you going to not pray for patience and suffer through the trials like a little kid pouting about having to do your chores? The choice is yours to make and it is all a matter of the heart.

No comments: